Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Surviving 1st Treatment

I survived my first treatment! One down, hopefully only a few to go.
I was given my treatment on Thursday and was home by Thursday afternoon. The nurse said the side effects would vary depending on the person's immunity and overall well being. One nurse jokingly said it would feel like my first trimester of pregnancy and I nervously laughed.
I got home and had a light meal with my family and watched netflix movies. For a few minutes, I thought to myself that this might not be that bad. I felt exhausted and dizzy, which is to be expected.

Morning brought exhaustion and fatigue and the all too familiar nausea and diarreah (sorry- too much TMI. for those with weak stomachs, you may skip this paragraph).  The nurse gave me some anti-nausea medication which curved the nausea-ness, but not the diarreah!.  Thursday-Saturday were a big blur.. exhaustion, sleepiness, fatigue, and diarreah were the theme. I did not vomit thanks to the anti-nausea medication and mother nature. Even while pregnant, I never threw up when nauseous, so this was no different. As the days progressed I grew more and more depressed, a normal reaction to the medication, but was thankful that I did not suffer from mental confusion or loony-ness.  I am already looney as is! Sunday, however, was another story. The entire day I felt extreamly tired, irritable, depressed, and very nauseous. I stayed in bed all day and did not leave my room. Poor Eliana did not see her mommy that day.
Monday was a much better day. Still suffering from diarreah, but all other symptoms subsided. For the first time, I woke up at 11am and had the energy to drive to Publix to pick up formula for Eliana. Success!

I forgot to post that the day before my treatment  Esther and I went to the salon and chopped off our hair. My doctor told me that I should expect some hair loss and maybe complete hair loss. Before any of this ever happened, Esther and I talked about donating our hair to Locks of Love- an organization that collects human hair and makes wigs for children who suffer from Cancer. Naturally, we found that this was the perfect opportunity to donate our hair and I wanted to do it before I began to lose it. I dont think I would handle the loss of my long locks. Better to chop off and donate to a good cause.
Below are pictures from our day at the salon:

Our hair looks a lot a like right?







goodbye hair!
a whole 11 inches!
Esther donated 13 inches!
Short hair!
She is a trooper.. she hates short hair!



4 comments:

  1. You both look adorable!
    I've never seen Esther with short hair, and she looks great. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She hates it lol, but she's a good sister!. I think it looks cute, but she needs to blow it out so it's more work than having long hair. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! You both look awesome. Rock that bob :)

    ReplyDelete