Monday, June 13, 2011

While I am sick and idle

For you guys that know me, you know I cant sit still. Not-for-a-second. I am sick with a cold, a sinus infection, and a massive kidney/bladder/everything inside of you infection. As you also saw from my last post, I am also suffering from depression and the I-fell-sorry-for-myself syndrome.
No more! I say to myself today. I cannot feel sorry for myself one minute longer. I should devour every book I can get my hands on and devote my energy to a multiple of things: 1) Eliana, 2)Eliana, 3) reading books, 4) online non profit work- my new and old charitable passions, 5) more reading 6) Eliana. :-)
For my reading, I have been reading some out-of-the beaten-path books that I wanted to share with you all:

Permanent Midnight by Jerry Stahl: As someone who’s never taken a single drug in her life, it’s pretty amazing how many junkie memoirs I’ve devoured. Maybe I have a junkie memoir problem? Jerry Stahl’s is one of the best, because he’s a writer first and foremost. Follow him as he goes from Hustler to writing scripts for Moonlighting, while death spiraling through a narcotic cautionary tale that will make your hair fall out. Added bonus: He was the head writer on the cult classic Alf, so next time you see a clip, remember that all that dialogue was written by a man strung out into near-psychosis. It makes so much more sense!

Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson: If that book cover isn’t enough to convince you to check this out, what is? Robert Anton Wilson (RAW to his fans and followers) was an icon of brain-altering philosophies, and his writing has lost zero of its power over time. The headline here is that Prometheus Rising is about meta-programming your own mind. The subheads are many. You’ll feel altered.

Raging Bull: My Story by Jake LaMotta: When Robert DeNiro read Raging Bull on the set of The Godfather Part II, it affected him so much he nagged Martin Scorsese for years before convincing him to adapt it to film. DeNiro’s assessment of it was dead-on: While the writing is simplistic, LaMotta’s raw humanity and violent intensity are unforgettable. You can get books galore on boxing technique, the business, the interference of organized crime, but LaMotta’s book is about the life and mind of a man who brawls like an animal for the entertainment of others.

The Singularity Is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology by Ray Kurzweil: Hm, this one is a little hard to blurb. Let’s say this: Kurzweil is the world’s most optimistic mad scientist. In this expansive book, he argues that humankind, with its massive advances in nanotechnology, genetics, robotics and more, is reaching a kind of maximum knowledge — a “singularity” — at which point we can merge our biology with our science to completely transform the human race. This isn’t blurbing well, is it?

Happy Reading! Fiction coming up soon. Chat with me about books if you want to chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment