Monday, November 7, 2011

Halloween Week Fiasco

So I thought the highlight of Halloween would be Eliana eating chocolate by accident, or Aunt Esther dressing up as a cow with Eli, but of course NOT.
On Tuesday, I got a call from Eliana's daycare saying that she was not feeling well and that they thought she had a tummy ache or constipation. My little one is allergic to so many things and now including milk. Where does she get that? I have no idea bc we dont know too much about all of her hereridary stuff (for obvious reasons).  I diverted, let me get back to the story then will get into Eliana's one million allergies.
So, daycare calls me and I worry because she's in pain and crying and all think that she's super uber constipated and I may have accidentally give her halloween candy, or milk based products or god knows what.
I pick her up from daycare and take her home. Things seem to be fine. Except.. when bathtime comes ELiana screams in pain and starts to grab her elbow and arm and refuses to lift it or even move it. I, of course, thinks her arm is broken and proceed to call my mother, brother, sister, and pediatrician friend. Eliana passes out drinking her bottle and I let her sleep through the night until I assess the situation. As always, I think I am overreacting so I give say to myself that I will give it 24 hours and see how she is doing once she wakes up again.
In the morning, nothing changes. Eliana still refuses to be touched and definitely does not move her left side. I panic. Get dressed and run to the emergency room.
We are used to emergency rooms and are pros at doctors :-)
To make a long story short, after numerous x-rays and hours in the emergency room, the doctor tells us that Eliana had a dislocated elbow and doctor quickly re-locates it. Apparently it is a very normal and common injury among little ones. who knew?!?
The doctor told us that it can happen anytime and she is apparently prone to joint dislocation (I have never had anything dislocated in my life) so first time for me to learn about all of these things.  Her muscles and joints are growing very fast and apparently they become weak and soft and hence can be dislocated rather quickly.

What a scare. She is fine now and I had a very long talk with the director of her daycare to discuss how she should be handled.. (extra gently of course).

Anyway, never a dull moment at the Zeledon household.

Let's hope this week is a quiet one.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment