Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Good and the Bad - the Internet!

I stay clear from the internet when it comes to googling anything about my symptoms, illness, etc. I was never much for obsessing over the latest medical blogs or what webmd.com has to say about my wet cough, or the rash behind my hand, etc. So now, it is especially true that I do not and will not do a bit of research regarding anything relating to my kidneys. I will leave the task to my family who have sent me countless links to doctors, hospitals, online groups, etc. lol.

I have to say though that through their research I have found that the two best centers in the country for what I have are: John Hopkins in Baltimore and the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. What is up with the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota? everyone seems to be going there. I visited Minnesota once before and all I have to say that it was: COLD. I have fond memories of Minnesota, so I guess I wouldnt mind spending some time there receiving treatment. Also, the treatment at the Mayo clinic seems to be the least intrusive, using some heat therapy thing to zap tumors.

I am getting ahead of myself though- I still need to meet with the oncologist and several urologist before we decide what treatment to pursue. At the request of my family I am going to see doctors in Miami as well as in Washington DC. Somehow the more doctors I see, the better it will be. :-)

Back to the internet discussion.  The internet is like going shopping at a sample sale: you have to sift through a lot of merchandise that doesnt fit to get to that one outfit or shoe that fits perfectly. Everyone is an expert on the internet. I have learned that by googling home remedies when Eliana was sick.  For example, google: giving baby a bath while sick. What you will find is hysterical: Yes, giving baby a bath while sick is actually good for them; NO, bath for baby makes them sicker; It depends, depending on how you give baby a bath, it may or may not be beneficial. The information is crazy!

So please, no emails about what the latest and greatest treatment.. but please do send links to the latest Louboutin shoes, Marc Jacobs handbags, or miracle beauty treatment. :-)

1 comment:

  1. I love how you compare the internet to a sample sale! You're so a girl after my own heart. Love you xo

    ReplyDelete