Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Crazy Pregger Brain

I had a pregnancy dream last night. Yes, a pregnancy dream. I had memories of my erratic, irrational, and just plain crazy behaviour while I was pregnant with Eliana. 


Since even before I was pregnant, I was pumped with a tsunami of hormones. Add regular pregnancy hormones, a 60 pound weight gain- and what you get is a completely insane Sonia.  I was also equally crazy and irrational after the birth of Eliana and for about 3 months thereafter. I suffered from a slight post pardum depression. I am much better now- dealing with a different sort of depression-but it's of a different kind (read my other posts about depression and illness). 


Behavior changes while pregnant is actually caused by a number of different factors. First and foremost, these changes seems to be linked to a change in the levels of chemicals in the brain.  These changes govern your moods and decision making receptions in the brain. When they become disrupted, this leads changes in behavior, depression, irrational behavior, etc. 


During pregnancy, the rapid change in the body's hormones (this is especially true for women who take hormones to become pregnant), may trigger a change in the levels of these chemicals, resulting in erratic behavior, depression, memory loss, etc. The above behavior can also be triggered by various emotional, psychological, or personal factors, including stressful life events, financial troubles, or death in the family.  I didnt have a death in the family, but I had all sorts of stressful life events, among other things.


So, dear friends: If you were in my path during my pregnancy: I apologize for my crazy and erratic behavior. And for those friends who are currently pregnant my piece of advice: cut yourself a little slack, try to relax as much as possible and do not make any big decisions. 


Here is a story that I remember:


One night during a work trip, I was at a hotel  watching a movie, an  eating dinner. I had three biscuits on my plate. Just as I was eating the last bite, I thought in my head, "Ahhh, bummer! I'm all done."

And then... without ANY warning, I just burst into tears. It was so sudden that I actually had NO idea why I was crying.

I then realized that I was crying because I finished my biscuits!  And though I was hysterical by that point, I burst out laughing... uncontrollably, mind you... at the thought of crying over finishing BISCUITS when I had room service on speed dial!   So  there I was ... empty plate, crying and laughing, not having any idea what is going on in my head. Yes, not my proudest moment. 

Hope that made you laugh. Have a wonderful day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment